Our current feelings regarding redsun

bungthebadger

Fuck off bung
Donator
Hello fellow redsunners. We'd like to take some of our time and point out some of the current problems with the actual staff, most importantly - inactive members of our staff. Some of our moderators doesn't seem to be active on the servers anymore and some of them haven't been on for months on end. As well as some of the developers which have been silent in any of the development towards redsun, which we ask ourselves if they still are contributing to it (maybe they are, but we obviously don't know).

On top of that, redsun hasn't been in the best shape lately, as opposed to before, since we see less and less people contributing, the servers can feel dead at some point (even out of the school/work times). It feels at times that events are the only thing allowing the server to increase in player count. Using events is a positive way of encouraging players to come on and increase growth, but the server should be able to sustain itself after it has passed which seems to become more lackluster now.

So we ask of our community managers and admin to fix this issue by finding potential and active candidates for moderators who keeps the servers alive, fun and safe, and working staff for the developer side while punishing those who takes unofficial hiatuses when their break should be disclosed to everyone or when need not be.

We are to mention that we are not talking about those who do work on redsun and pull their weight about as equal as can be, as they are doing their jobs as necessary and accomplishing work which makes redsun significantly better in the short term and long run of its life for all members.

To digress shortly, we would also like to try and bring back events that the entire community can participate in, much like the video contest held in 2016 as well as the screenshot contest, these two (as well as several others but were unofficial) were unique challenges in a way and allowed redsunners to let their creativity run free to impress others and show off their talents for a chance of rewards or just recognition, which encouraged the player base to participate and enjoy experiences with one another which can also improve redsun as well.

Overall, we'd like to see improvements in activity of our moderators and work being pulled more equally for the developer side of our staff, to make sure the servers are healthy and running a decent population for a while - and perhaps as well as having fun small community driven events much like the screenshot contest. It is important that we try to cultivate and maintain good server staff, consistent work ethics and equally spread work loads to continue our success as a community and to thrive while maintaining the fun factor that we have and increasing it.

So what are your opinions on this? We'd love to hear all your feedback on this and we'd like to hear it from everyone especially!

Made by Bung, and Kerubim (Ur Ugli

-From bungthebadger, Kerubim (Ur Ugli), tactic, Workers, Cheossieranth.

Last edited:

Dio Brando

Insert Obvious Joke
Nice post! I'm sure @Tohru Adachi will response to this since he is probably the only one who can give a serious and honest answer.
My take:
It is true that some people in staff haven't been active in months even years.Though 24/7 moderating isn't easy and some people like to spend their time on other things rather TF2 .The staff also needs their free time and there hasn't been much to do lately.Some of them can't play daily like we do.Most of them need time to develop (DEVS) and to be fair mods have been way more active than last month.

Tohru Adachi

I get paid to insult people
Administrator
A lot of my time and the time of our developers is spent on backend maintenance and a rather large website front and backend overhaul which is eating up all of our time. I'm also organising the finer details of our participation in the 2019 Blapature charity event, which along with personal commitments leaves me with little time should I risk burnout.

or at least, that's the short version of it.

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
I agree overall but I also believe Developers need not be accounted for here. It makes no difference whether there are more or less developers, since the developer rank is only for permission to tools that those who are interested in developing for the servers are granted. They have never had the obligation of producing content, and that shouldn't start now.

With that said, moderators do have an obligation to be around somewhat, and it's on @Tohru Adachi to demote moderators who seriously haven't done anything of value for the servers.
Post automatically merged:

Follow-up:
I spoke to tohru about some inactive mods and he's looking into it. Why this wasn't done in the first place, honestly, I'll never know. I'm nobody special.

Also I would like to remind this crowd that Team Fortress 2 is a stagnant game and no developer is really going to be around to code so much for a dwindling crowd. I'm still here, but frankly, I do believe the party's over and TF2 is just becoming timeless. The game isn't dead, but it's not really alive either.

Last edited:

Zane Truesdale

Vodka is the key to victory
Server Moderator
Donator
I do have a theory that may help.
One thing I've noticed is that events revive the servers so well because it give players incentive to play. I believe this is something that the servers could use to be alive without events or waiting for the weekends: More Incentive.

I know I might be beating a dead horse at this point, but anyone remember my Krampus Raid? It brought people together to play on Mistral every time the map was on. I saw that server have ~28 players whenever Isaac was on.
Call it badge farming autism or whatever you like, but you can't deny that it was the most consistent level of high player activity Mistral has gotten in a long time that didn't need a single event to keep bringing in players. It gave people an incentive to play on the server(s). When the badge got disabled, it removed the incentive to play on the server and as such Mistral flopped right back in it's coffin to only get 1 to 4 players every now and then.

I know you may not like people having this type of reason(badge farming, BP grinding, etc) to play on the servers, but it is still a reason to play nonetheless.

Forged Identity

the man who says nyeh
what Zane said generally aligns with my own feelings events do a lot to keep the server alive and give players incentives to be online however there aren't many new people coming in and staying around.

I feel that the server has a problem keeping people engaged which could be remedied (in my opinion) by having a reason to sign in to the forums everyday (maybe handing out small amounts of bp and such) for signing into the forums daily. or have a play time related thing where the amount of time you are actively playing (not in spectator) is added up over a week and you are put into a leaderboard. making playtime on the servers a tracked stat would make it a more competitive thing and that competitiveness may encourage more players.

my apologies if these ideas and things are incoherent or would be hard to implement or just stupid as I haven't been here long nor do I have as much experience as the rest of you.

nevertheless thanks for reading, have a good day :P

Tohru Adachi

I get paid to insult people
Administrator
a play time related thing where the amount of time you are actively playing (not in spectator) is added up over a week and you are put into a leaderboard. making playtime on the servers a tracked stat would make it a more competitive thing
I actually like this idea. I'll put it on the discussions for the rewrite.

bungthebadger

Fuck off bung
Donator
Hello hello once more, it's nice to see we sparked a pretty good discussion and got a bit of ideas being shared around which was one of the other things we hoped we could have people do and turned out to be a success overall.

Nice post! I'm sure @Tohru Adachi will response to this since he is probably the only one who can give a serious and honest answer.
My take:
It is true that some people in staff haven't been active in months even years.Though 24/7 moderating isn't easy and some people like to spend their time on other things rather TF2 .The staff also needs their free time and there hasn't been much to do lately.Some of them can't play daily like we do.Most of them need time to develop (DEVS) and to be fair mods have been way more active than last month.
While I personally can't say whether or not mods are more active than last month (since I don't have proper internet even though I still play online games at the occasion so I'm making a bad excuse) I understand that some of our mods can't be just as active as others or may not have the same time they used to which is okay, we just want to have inactive mods to be active or replaced by active mods if they can't/aren't (excluding mods on hiatus).

And it's also understandable that devs can't spend every second of their life breathing, eating, and sleeping in code/web development/hammer since they're also human beings, we'd wanted to hear more on progress and have more active developers per se but Frosty pretty much gave the answer to that below in terms of not being obligated to create content which answered me about fine or so.

A lot of my time and the time of our developers is spent on backend maintenance and a rather large website front and backend overhaul which is eating up all of our time. I'm also organising the finer details of our participation in the 2019 Blapature charity event, which along with personal commitments leaves me with little time should I risk burnout.

or at least, that's the short version of it.
I see, so there's really not much time that can be spent on something like rsk (even though geenovoid has it covered as far as I know) or content making for the moment being. What would the longer version be if I may ask?

I agree overall but I also believe Developers need not be accounted for here. It makes no difference whether there are more or less developers, since the developer rank is only for permission to tools that those who are interested in developing for the servers are granted. They have never had the obligation of producing content, and that shouldn't start now.

With that said, moderators do have an obligation to be around somewhat, and it's on @Tohru Adachi to demote moderators who seriously haven't done anything of value for the servers.
Post automatically merged:

Follow-up:
I spoke to tohru about some inactive mods and he's looking into it. Why this wasn't done in the first place, honestly, I'll never know. I'm nobody special.

Also I would like to remind this crowd that Team Fortress 2 is a stagnant game and no developer is really going to be around to code so much for a dwindling crowd. I'm still here, but frankly, I do believe the party's over and TF2 is just becoming timeless. The game isn't dead, but it's not really alive either.
I suppose it makes sense considering it's more of a volunteering(? Not sure what to properly call it since being a mod is also a volunteer job) than anything. Also, I can somewhat agree that TF2 is more or less in a limbo or a stasis with a lack of content being put out by Valve and we still haven't gotten the heavy update after almost 2 years of waiting. Shame since the game really needs some attention and probably should be a higher priority than what Valve is doing right now in my opinion.

I do have a theory that may help.
One thing I've noticed is that events revive the servers so well because it give players incentive to play. I believe this is something that the servers could use to be alive without events or waiting for the weekends: More Incentive.

I know I might be beating a dead horse at this point, but anyone remember my Krampus Raid? It brought people together to play on Mistral every time the map was on. I saw that server have ~28 players whenever Isaac was on.
Call it badge farming autism or whatever you like, but you can't deny that it was the most consistent level of high player activity Mistral has gotten in a long time that didn't need a single event to keep bringing in players. It gave people an incentive to play on the server(s). When the badge got disabled, it removed the incentive to play on the server and as such Mistral flopped right back in it's coffin to only get 1 to 4 players every now and then.

I know you may not like people having this type of reason(badge farming, BP grinding, etc) to play on the servers, but it is still a reason to play nonetheless.
what Zane said generally aligns with my own feelings events do a lot to keep the server alive and give players incentives to be online however there aren't many new people coming in and staying around.

I feel that the server has a problem keeping people engaged which could be remedied (in my opinion) by having a reason to sign in to the forums everyday (maybe handing out small amounts of bp and such) for signing into the forums daily. or have a play time related thing where the amount of time you are actively playing (not in spectator) is added up over a week and you are put into a leaderboard. making playtime on the servers a tracked stat would make it a more competitive thing and that competitiveness may encourage more players.

my apologies if these ideas and things are incoherent or would be hard to implement or just stupid as I haven't been here long nor do I have as much experience as the rest of you.

nevertheless thanks for reading, have a good day :P
I actually like this idea. I'll put it on the discussions for the rewrite.
This is a fantastic idea, I'll definitely be looking forward to when this is implemented! Though if I may add, I think we could implement a daily challenge sort of system and we can have badges for completing x amount of x [insert rarity] challenges - though that would take longer and is harder to implement, I think it can get even more players on than usual.

Ur Ugli

BAPgineer GOD
Donator
I also had some ideas, but what about your player level acquired through earning badges to be more important than just "ok you're level x now".
What about this :

As of now the max player level is 42, with the current working system (lol le funny number)

- Add tiers for levels
Example : from level 1 to level 5 you are bronze tier, once reaching max bronze tier, you get an award appropriate for doing so.

- How to unlock higher tiers :
To reach the "Silver" you need to get a specific badge + be max bronze rank (for example you'll need to have at least 48 hours played badge on redsun).
To reach gold it's two specific badges, etc for above tiers (you add +1)

- Appropriate awards for tiers
Once silver is reached you should get better awards, 60 bp instead of 40 bp (if the won bp on bronze is at 40 that is) same for above tiers.

This is just an idea but it would get more of an incentive to get badges while playing and being in some sort of leaderboard (so it gives some sort of competition).

The top tiers would go to the one who obviously have the most badges and have played the most (i see you 42 with all those badges)

Zane Truesdale

Vodka is the key to victory
Server Moderator
Donator
I do want to add onto that leaderboard idea as it is a great one to try out.

I think also adding rewards based on where you placed on the leaderboard when the week is up will give it a worthwhile incentive to keep people invested in climbing it each week. Maybe a set amount of BP and/or a randomly picked item.
I've seen this in games like BTD Battles and Sonic Dash 2 that rewards players with digital goodies when they place high before the leaderboard refreshes. Might be beneficial if this idea goes through in the new loadout

Forged Identity

the man who says nyeh
I do want to add onto that leaderboard idea as it is a great one to try out.

I think also adding rewards based on where you placed on the leaderboard when the week is up will give it a worthwhile incentive to keep people invested in climbing it each week. Maybe a set amount of BP and/or a randomly picked item.
I've seen this in games like BTD Battles and Sonic Dash 2 that rewards players with digital goodies when they place high before the leaderboard refreshes. Might be beneficial if this idea goes through in the new loadout
I was thinking the same thing! glad i'm not the only one with that idea.