New User Help Thread

Spark

Electronic LunarTik
Donator
Developer
We've been getting an influx of new players recently, so I thought it would be useful to make a place where you guys can ask questions.
Much of the information found here is still valid, but we've grown much in 2 years!

Ask away, we'd love to help you out.

bostonJunkie

loli milf
Donator
Developer
What happened with SLAG that caused the formation of Red Sun?
hihihi, slightly old user here but as to retell from an OG staff member (NotPaddy) who was a Mini Dev on SLAG and now Senior Dev here. - It started on after Mecha officially shut down the servers and staff from SLAG had a call over skype in what I can assume in 2015 from there went onto create Redsun. (Those two founders, being Tohru Adachi and now ex-admin Darthmule.) I guess what I can mention that it was a revival of SLAG since the majority of the staff at the time were from there. But now as newer faces are here and thanks to the admins who've been here the longest - Frosty Scales and Tohru Adachi, it seems like we'll be here to stay.

maybe, the staff who were there to witness the creation of Redsun could add on? my memory is a bit fuzzy as usual.

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Administrator
What happened with SLAG that caused the formation of Red Sun?
Former SLAG Mini-Dev here as well, however, unlike most of the others here I came from the Parkour Fortress sub-section of SLAG that was somewhat alienated from the rest of the community.

So, from my perspective: Mecha The SLAG basically just stopped giving a fuck about the servers at all. He stopped responding to emails regarding the servers, and the last time I can recall him doing anything on the servers was when pf_keepaway got a fix added in the PF code (Note: This same fix is why PF's timer is broken today- there was a small bug in the code and Mecha never went back to fix it)

Around this time, @Tohru Adachi made a call with several SLAG staff, in which he decided to start a new server network and keep the spirit alive. So, him and Darthmule (Former Developer at SLAG w/ elevated access) came together to found Red Sun. As for what SLAG staff ended up here, off the top of my head I can name @Neox, @NotPaddy, @Luksus322, @JugadorXEI, @Riimyr, @PestoVerde, @Alex Turtle, @Quenquent and probably a lot more who I'm forgetting. Most of the PF community that didn't come here are still keeping their eyes out for parkour.tf to launch.

Keep in mind, at this time, the PF guys had almost nothing to do with Red Sun. (other than @Bone, who was in the original call despite being a PF Mini-Dev himself) I found out about this place through PrettyBoySwagg (A controversial figure from SLAG past, also @Muffinoota's real life brother) who linked me to a very early version of the forums (about 2 weeks into its existence), and I came onboard with the hope that eventually we'd be able to remake the PF mod; but as time went on I took a different direction and put a far larger focus on the Gamemode Madness servers.

Fez_

The new guy
How come you guys dont accept paypal donations or item donations?

Tohru Adachi

Can't take a joke
Administrator
How come you guys dont accept paypal donations or item donations?
Back when we first started up, PayPal locked me out of a chunk of money for no reason. They've been pretty shit to me so we've just never used them.
Item donations aren't accepted right now because of the instability of their prices and difficulty selling them for money, since we cant use keys or hats to pay the servers, only cold hard cash.

Olabingo

The new guy
Donator
We've been getting an influx of new players recently, so I thought it would be useful to make a place where you guys can ask questions.
Much of the information found here is still valid, but we've grown much in 2 years!

Ask away, we'd love to help you out.
Uhm I cant chat on a server.... Need some help. Thanks

Izzy

The new guy
Is there a way for me to find out what gamemodes this server has?
I just joined recently and I've been curious to see if there's a list of all the gamemodes.

JaviNiceDay

I'm still tired
Donator
I just joined recently and I've been curious to see if there's a list of all the gamemodes.
There’s no official list iirc, but off the top of my head there’s
  • Versus Saxton Hale
  • Deathrun
  • Freeze Tag
  • Super Zombie Fortress
  • MicroTF2
  • Mystery Maps
  • Player vs Map
  • Dodgeball
  • Prophunt

Tohru Adachi

Can't take a joke
Administrator
Uhm I cant chat on a server.... Need some help. Thanks
There's two reasons why you'd be blocked from chat:
  1. You've got a chat ban - this prevents you from using text chat. If you have one, the main website will have a big red banner saying you have a ban.
  2. Your name is invisible ingame - in which case you cannot use chat as you cant easily be pinged.

Tohru Adachi

Can't take a joke
Administrator
This thread is maintained afaik, it contains a list of all maps and modes, including past ones.