Map General Thread (WiP's, Questions, Etc.)

Quagsire

Bad at Life
Donator
Dunno if this is the right place, but dr_delay_b2 has broken textures all over the place, and I have played the map in it's full glory before, is there an updated version somewhere out there?

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Dunno if this is the right place, but dr_delay_b2 has broken textures all over the place, and I have played the map in it's full glory before, is there an updated version somewhere out there?
This is the wrong place, yes. The correct place would be either the rotation thread or map fixing thread. Anyways, I'm fairly certain that we are running b3, and I've never encountered said error on this version, although I have on other versions. It definitely doesn't happen every time the map comes on, that's for sure. I will look around for a fixed version. (Keep in mind that a version labeled _fix exists and it definitely isn't fixed.)

Skorda

Twice the ruckus-raising productivity
Remember my project sb_spearpillar? I'm holding off on that 'till I find someone who can animate models. I'm probably gonna work on something simpler this summer, but it'll still be based on an actual smash bros stage. I'm open for suggestions.

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Remember my project sb_spearpillar? I'm holding off on that 'till I find someone who can animate models. I'm probably gonna work on something simpler this summer, but it'll still be based on an actual smash bros stage. I'm open for suggestions.
If you're desperate, I can give animating the models a shot. Can't promise anything, I just dabbled with 3dsMax and Wallworm a bit. It's fairly easy once you get a grasp on it.
Please tell me the models are rigged?

Skorda

If you're desperate, I can give animating the models a shot. Can't promise anything, I just dabbled with 3dsMax and Wallworm a bit. It's fairly easy once you get a grasp on it.
Please tell me the models are rigged?
I hope they're rigged, they're from a pokemon model pack I got from gmod, so they have their own ragdoll physics. I'm not an expert at modelling and i'm not exactly sure what the definition of rigging is.

So all I can say is that I hope they're rigged.

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
I hope they're rigged, they're from a pokemon model pack I got from gmod, so they have their own ragdoll physics. I'm not an expert at modelling and i'm not exactly sure what the definition of rigging is.

So all I can say is that I hope they're rigged.
Good enough. I'll need to look into rigging anyway, so it's just gonna take more time and sanity if they aren't. Can you send me a link to the models you want animated so I can take a look at what needs to be done?

Tohru Adachi

I get paid to insult people
Administrator
Good enough. I'll need to look into rigging anyway, so it's just gonna take more time and sanity if they aren't. Can you send me a link to the models you want animated so I can take a look at what needs to be done?
tbh it would take me 10 mins to do it but maya just crashes on startup on my shit pc

Skorda

Sent.

Skorda

Progress on sb_spearpillar so far. I made more platforms to emphasize the "divided seasons" Mt. Coronet has, one side will just be rocky with some vegetation, the other side will be coated in snow. So here's my list of what I need to do so far.

• A few more platforms will be added
  • Skybox
  • Logic for Dialga and Palkia
  • Particle Effects, i'll take a crack at these but i'll ask for help if I can't nail it down.
  • Spruce up the textures a bit

Onule

Settled in
Should I use soundscripts for music that switches/stops depending on what's going on in the map or stick with ambient_generic?
Should I also use soundscripts for sound effects heard everywhere? I tried using an ambient_generic but it sounds too low.

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Should I use soundscripts for music that switches/stops depending on what's going on in the map or stick with ambient_generic?
Should I also use soundscripts for sound effects heard everywhere? I tried using an ambient_generic but it sounds too low.
I don't see a reason to use it for the former. As for the latter, you could try it. Also, don't be confused, you're not using any entity here that isn't ambient_generic. ambient_generic is the only entity you need.

To clarify, when you make a gamesound/soundscript, you set it to play through ambient_generic, the same way as you would with any other sound. You may be thinking of soundscapes, in which case you're thinking very wrong.

Quenquent

Random rapist
Developer
Going to work on tfdb_reduction again. Excepted graphical improvement and better way to see which platform will break, should I do something else ?

Festive Lion

Feline of the year
Donator
Okay, so Im thinking of starting to learn how to map (so i can be usefull to the community) and im looking for some basic advice, like stuff for noobs. And im just wondering about things like how long does it usually take to learn and create a basic map. Hopefully going to start soon once i get off my lazy ass that is.

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Okay, so Im thinking of starting to learn how to map (so i can be usefull to the community) and im looking for some basic advice, like stuff for noobs. And im just wondering about things like how long does it usually take to learn and create a basic map. Hopefully going to start soon once i get off my lazy ass that is.
What you need to know:
  • You can find hammer.exe in common\Team Fortress 2\bin. Start opening it up.
  • If it asks for what configuration to use, choose Team Fortress 2.
  • Hammer will now open. Go to File, then New.
  • Now you will have four windows. From upper-left to lower-right, these are:
    • 3D view.
    • X/Z view (Side)
    • Y/Z view (Front)
    • X/Y view (Top)
  • Your window will possibly look like this:

Now, let's create a basic map.
  • Select a texture you want to use by clicking Browse (filter textures by "dev" when you start out, change them later when you're polishing your map).

• Use the block tool, and then make the ground out of the texture you've choosen (use the top camera).

• Press enter to generate the solid.

• Now, we will place some spawnpoints. Those are where you spawn. Select the entity tool, and in "Objects", select info_player_teamspawn. Then, we'll place two spawnpoints.

(My spawnpoints are engineers, unlike yours, which probably are yellow-ish Gordon Freemans. It's fine, though.)

• Now that we have two spawnpoints, we're going to specify that one is for RED and one is for BLU. Doubleclick on the spawnpoints, and in "Team", select the team you want to assign to what spawnpoint. Click Apply to make sure the changes are done.

• Now, we're going to cover the rest of the map with the skybox, which indeed represents the sky. Select the Block tool, and we'll select the tools/toolsskybox texture.

• Cover the map with the skybox now. Make sure the entire map is sealed with this texture.

• The map is ready to compile now, but it'll look ugly since it has no lighting. To fix this, we'll use the Entity tool again, and we'll use the light_environment entity. Place it anywhere it the map, doubleclick on it, and change the Brightness and Ambient colors to what you want. The fourth number in both also represents the intensity of the light. With Pitch Yaw Roll, use the "Point At" utility, and point to where you want the light to go. Don't forget to apply the changes.

• Looks like we're set now! We'll save the map, and then we'll go to File, then Run Map (F9). Then click Ok, and the map will compile. TF2 will open your map after compiling automatically, unless you set it otherwise.

Also check the Valve Dev Wiki for more info, and the TF2 Level Creation page in it.

Last edited:

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
UEAKCrash also has a TF2 mapping tutorial series.
Currently incomplete, but can still teach you quite a lot.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Google is your friend
  • The wiki lies (sometimes)
  • If hammer doesn't crash every 10 minutes, you are doing something wrong.

Skorda

sb_spearpillar is put on hold once again, here's the new project for the latest gamemode: Super Zombie Fortress.

Set somewhere in the Himalayas, a Himalayan mining company discovered a great source of power somewhere deep in the mountains. Various mining activity disrupted an ancient shrine, causing the mountain to crumble, and wake the dead. Players will be put face to face with dark caverns, labyrinth like paths, pitch black passages, towering cliffsides, and of course, zombies. As you can tell by the screenshot, the story starts after a mine train crash in a room flooded with snow. Various weapons are scattered on the tables for fending off the savage wildlife on the mountain, perhaps some people were superstitious about a Yeti. Point is, survival is now essential, and you have to race down to the base of the mountain if you want to see another day.