Map General Thread (WiP's, Questions, Etc.)

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Feel free to discuss anything relevant to mapmaking in this thread. This means WiP's, Screenshots, Questions, and whatever else.

However, if you have a map to release, please make a separate thread for it, so it can get the attention it deserves.

NotPaddy

That one guy...
Senior Dev
Developer
Ok short question regarding map optimization: Is it generally better to leave small complex brushwork as func_detail or to turn it into a prop via propper ?

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Ok short question regarding map optimization: Is it generally better to leave small complex brushwork as func_detail or to turn it into a prop via propper ?
turning it into a prop is technically better, but it's way too inconvenient to be worth it unless you're working near max limits. (max brushes, max brush sides, etc.)

Also, func_illusionary can be used in that case if the detail doesn't need to be solid.

aIM

Next Gen Scout
A complex question: How the hell do doors work?
I wanna make them spin, go down to a certain point and all but, idk how to do it.

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
you can make a door that moves down and up using func_movelinear, and rotating door with func_door_rotating. It's kinda complicated to explain how those are used; but I can guarantee that TopHATT has probably made a video about it

Sympathetic

Laughs at his own jokes
Developer
When the hidden was still on server, I was actually making a map for it, but before it was finished the gamemode was removed.
The map itself is almost complete, it even has the needed entities, but gameplay-wise I think it would be too small and tight for vsh. Plus I didn't want to work on it anymore.
If anyone wants to edit, port, complete (or could just use some parts), I'm putting it up here.
http://www.filedropper.com/arenahiddenlab

I used some custom textures and models, mostly from Invasion and Meet the Medic prop packs. All links are here:

Onule

Settled in
Currently making a dodgeball map, I need the sourcemod + plugins for it correct? Where do I get them?

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Currently making a dodgeball map, I need the sourcemod + plugins for it correct? Where do I get them?
At AlliedModders. Here's a Dodgeball plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=251870

You'll need, of course, to set up a server with SourceMod in order to use it.

In order to make your map dodgeball-appropiate, it needs the tfdb_ prefix, and you need to place a tf_logic_arena entity anywhere in your map. Then, you'll need to put info_target entities named "rocket_spawn_red" and "rocket_spawn_blue" which will make them spawn red and blu rockets for the Pyros to airblast.

Last edited:

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Does anyone happen to have a good guide/tutorial/explanation of how models/materials work in source lying around?
I'm trying to learn modeling, but would never have thought that the materials would be the hard thing to get down.

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Does anyone happen to have a good guide/tutorial/explanation of how models/materials work in source lying around?
I'm trying to learn modeling, but would never have thought that the materials would be the hard thing to get down.
The Valve Developer Wiki is a good resource. You might start from here.

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
This, but also you could learn how to work with VMT's by looking at some and then looking up what they do on the wiki.

As it relates to modeling, that's an entirely different beast that I've yet to really touch, good luck. I would advise that you learn how to work with Alpha channels in Photoshop/GIMP if you don't already know how (I have both but personally prefer GIMP for this) One thing you'll find yourself doing is abusing the alpha channel to do things other than transparency, like putting your specular map in the alpha of your normal map, which is probably something you'll be doing a lot with models. (or textures in general but it's rare to see this in TF2)

One more thing: Don't trust the wiki all the time. It's very outdated and sometimes blatantly wrong about things. It's to be used as a general guide.

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Went through most resources I found by googling already. I think I figured the file structure out now, but all textures are still just grey (I know that they work because they show as purple and black checkers if I rename/delete the textures), but I have no idea where I could find why it happens or where to ask for help (is tf2maps.net the right place for that?).

This, but also you could learn how to work with VMT's by looking at some of their parameters and then looking up what they do on the wiki.

As it relates to modeling, that's an entirely different beast that I've yet to really touch, good luck. I would advise that you learn how to work with Alpha channels in Photoshop/GIMP if you don't already know how (I have both but personally prefer GIMP for this) One thing you'll find yourself doing is abusing the alpha channel to do things other than transparency, like putting your specular map in the alpha of your normal map, which is probably something you'll be doing a lot with models. (or textures in general but it's rare to see this in TF2)

One more thing: Don't trust the wiki all the time. It's very outdated and sometimes blatantly wrong about things. It's to be used as a general guide.
Surprisingly, the modeling is the easier part to get down (well, as long as you don't start with something extremely complex).
I already know that transparency is a pain in source, but thanks for the advice. I'll look into that once I get the other things working.

Darthmule

implying
Donator
imagine a video game where you have:
trial and error
dice roll
and a hidden strategy

thats compiling models for source

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
imagine a video game where you have:
trial and error
dice roll
and a hidden strategy

thats compiling models for source
Great, where do find the hidden strategy?

Darthmule

implying
Donator
it is so hidden i do not know it myself, sadly