koth_3am

Lord Scout

Warming up
Here's my first map! I thought I'd show it here in case you guys were interested in using it.
I went for a map with a theme/atheistic of a late night town.
Download koth_3am Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Took a quick look, so I'll give you some tips/advice:
  • Mapname: Add a version suffix (_b1) to your mapnames. This is because if you ever change something with a map, you need to use a different file name. Also: Change the name before compiling the map, otherwise you may run into issues
  • Size: Never easy to get right, but right now your maps is far too large. All I can do is give 2 tips: Look at other maps to see how big they made areas, and walk around your map as one of the slower classes (soldier/demo). Here's a giant guide on scale.
    Cutting your map in half, or maybe even more, will probably make it a lot more fun to play on. Right now the distance from spawn to point on your map is 8000 Units, while on some Valve KOTH maps I looked at it's ~3000 Units
  • Sightlines: The space between point and spawn is fairly empty and just gives you full sight of the enemy spawn.
    Good ways to break sightlines are indoor areas/buildings or just a bent in the map. Height variations are also a great.
Overall, this is a pretty solid first attempt and probably a whole lot better than my first few maps.
Oh, take a look at light_spot instead of the normal light for the streetlamps you used. It's a directional light.

Also: Do not name light entities unless you know what you are doing. Naming light changes how they work, so just leave the name empty unless you have a good reason for it.

Feel free to ask question in our #dev-talk discord channel.

Lord Scout

Warming up
Took a quick look, so I'll give you some tips/advice:
  • Mapname: Add a version suffix (_b1) to your mapnames. This is because if you ever change something with a map, you need to use a different file name. Also: Change the name before compiling the map, otherwise you may run into issues
  • Size: Never easy to get right, but right now your maps is far too large. All I can do is give 2 tips: Look at other maps to see how big they made areas, and walk around your map as one of the slower classes (soldier/demo). Here's a giant guide on scale.
    Cutting your map in half, or maybe even more, will probably make it a lot more fun to play on. Right now the distance from spawn to point on your map is 8000 Units, while on some Valve KOTH maps I looked at it's ~3000 Units
  • Sightlines: The space between point and spawn is fairly empty and just gives you full sight of the enemy spawn.
    Good ways to break sightlines are indoor areas/buildings or just a bent in the map. Height variations are also a great.
Overall, this is a pretty solid first attempt and probably a whole lot better than my first few maps.
Oh, take a look at light_spot instead of the normal light for the streetlamps you used. It's a directional light.

Also: Do not name light entities unless you know what you are doing. Naming light changes how they work, so just leave the name empty unless you have a good reason for it.

Feel free to ask question in our #dev-talk discord channel.
Alright, I've taken everything you said, and I think I've considerably improved the map.
Here's the new version of the map, took me about half a day to fix.