I'm an ex-Red Sun Administrator. AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Proof.

Anytime I type in "forum." to get to Facepunch, sometimes my Firefox sends me here randomly every once in a while. Disconcerted, I look at new people who I don't know at all, and although the old faces are still there, they're not as prominent as before...

It's been more than half a year ever since I left my position as an administrator in Red Sun - used to be primarily a housecleaning guy and all that jazz and I know I'm not incredibly popular, but here I am willing to answer some questions about me, what I used to do, what I'm doing right now, and whatever else. All I know is that if I don't get any responses, then it paints me as the least popular (ex-?)administrator, much to @Tohru Adachi's pleasure. And yes, if you're new, you can still ask anyways, I don't bite.

Much like Mike Ross, "I'll only give you the real in my responses. Might piss some off, OH WELL".

AMA

Frosty Scales

John Smiley from Syria
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
do you keep your toilet paper roll over or under (this is an important question, for science)

tactic

Severe Autism
Donator
Salted popcorn or sweet popcorn?
Post automatically merged:

On a more serious note..
How come you stopped administrating, and will you still continue contributing to Redsun, even if you aren’t an Admin any more?

Last edited:

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
I was a fool to believe any of these questions would actually be serious, lol.

sub or dom
Limiting yourself to one role is close-minded. If you ever start living with a partner for a long time, and they aren't one of those "I can only do one role" pansies, they'll get tired of doing the same thing over and over again. So neither.

do you keep your toilet paper roll over or under (this is an important question, for science)
I've never met anybody who puts their toiler paper under so it's got to be a meme. Right?

Salted popcorn or sweet popcorn?
Isn't salted popcorn still slightly sweet anyways? I've never got much of a taste with popcorn anyways, I just buy a packet to put on the microwave since anything is good anyways.

Wave

It'll be fine
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
juggy best admin

Any tips for not throwing hammer at the next possible spiked wall?
You somehow managed to deal with manncoscience while I'll want to tear hammer apart 5 minutes after starting it.

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Post automatically merged:

How come you stopped administrating, and will you still continue contributing to Redsun, even if you aren’t an Admin any more?
I stopped administrating mainly for three reasons:
  1. Time constraints. I'm doing a 3D animation, videogames and interactive environments + virtual worlds, augmented reality and gamification superior cycle which is a double title that requires me to do lots of exercises pretty much everytime, at the cost of not doing any exams at all. It also requires me to travel every 3 months to specific classrooms outside my city to make exam-esque exercises that make sure that I'm doing the stuff they send because it's all done by distance. As you can tell this makes my free time to do anything on Red Sun really limited, time which I should be spending on my well being and sanity instead.
  2. I didn't fit in with the community anymore. Red Sun became a thing because of SLAG Gaming regulars doing their own community right after Mecha the Slag (now known as MekuCube) KIA'd the original one in order to fully focus on developing A Hat in Time, which made everything really bittersweet. I guess you could say I'm one of the OGs.
    Time passed and the community changed a lot without me even realising it because I was busy uploading maps, doing fixes, making tweaks, keeping in touch with the staff, so forth and so on. The only times I kept in touch with the community was when I asked for any bugs they've found (@woo kept me covered in this regard) and for feedback in general.
    I was always approachable in the Red Sun Discord but I would rarely join the servers, voice chats or events myself where stuff always happened and developed, and it reached a point where it made me feel like an old man on a wheelchair yelling on my lawn "kids these days!" while they spout the sauciest dankest memes that originated from some obscure event that happened. Being truthfully honest, it was really difficult to keep track, and this made development difficult for me as well because I didn't know what the community wanted anymore.
    Regardless of this (and this was a dumb move on my part, mind you), because of the outdated values and guidelines I used to carry from SLAG Gaming, I was sometimes very dismissive of other moderators' and administrators' ideas on items and development because it clashed on my outdated values on what should be done for the community even though they were the ones that had a better idea on how they should do things. It was close-minded of me and made me feel like I had a bad temper at times, making it seem like I had a grudge on certain people.
  3. It stopped being fun. I don't want to make this as long as the second point but it's what it sounds like: when work starts to feel like work, and not like a fun passtime, you simply don't enjoy it anymore. You feel like you want to do this because it's what you've been doing for ~two years, but motivation starts to fade. I was practically a workhorse (and described as one by certain people) and burning myself off.
    If you ever start working on things you enjoy, don't do the mistake of overworking yourself or you'll regret it. Do it at the pace you like the most.

Will I ever keep contributing to Red Sun? Probably never, but I guess this counts as a contribution? I still do TF2 stuff and play it, but I wanted to move on from it and do different things outside my comfort zone as a way to challenge myself and my own skills. Team Fortress 2 is a game that, believe it or not, I'm still really passionate about, and even though I've quitted it before, I still come back to it - it's like a magnet. Even then, if I make a map or something and Red Sun takes it to the servers, consider it a contribution of sorts.

thank you

Any tips for not throwing hammer at the next possible spiked wall?
You somehow managed to deal with manncoscience while I'll want to tear hammer apart 5 minutes after starting it.
Alright, I've got to admit, Hammer is not a good tool for level development. I think it's pretty telling that if you need 3rd party stuff like the Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack to even get a grasp on meaningful mapping on TF2, use Batch Compiler so you can keep compile settings handy while knowing your compile progress (and even compiling multiple maps!), and then set various options in Hammer itself such as autosaving every 5 minutes just so you don't get shafted by a random crash, then it's not exactly a good tool in general. So how did I deal with it?

A lot of it came from patience and willingness to learn and make mistakes since I was really passionate while I was on Red Sun. A lot of my early compiles didn't have vertex lighting for example, which people were quick to mock because it was the sign of an unfinished compile of sorts. Sometimes I gave challenges to myself to keep things fresh, like making an iris door which look really cool, so forth and so on. Tweaking Mann Co. Science itself came to be because it was an incredibly barebones map that only needed a few tweaks to be what I thought to be perfect but then I found out more and more stuff to fix and it became the titular never-ending ride, haha. But you really only learn Hammer by mapping constantly and using it, then you start learning everything little by little until you become a master (which I ain't).

Sometimes just being really chill about it helps, too, like listening to music, or a podcast. I like listening to songs that make me feel really good on the inside because it helps me when it comes to work on anything, really. Sharing your progress to your friends, on a thread, on your Twitter or whatever also helps because it gives people the expectation that you're going to release something which encourages you to keep working. Also setting deadlines helps but that's more of a general tip than anything. Good luck!

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
Is this loss?

demo or soldier
I like both and I personally have no preference for either, but if I had to pick one to carry the team, it would be a Demoman. Soldier is more of a fun class in pubs for me.

what was some of the most difficult decisions you had to make in your position?
Damn, any decision is really difficult, really. There's almost always an inherent risk and reward in each and every decision done, moreso if you do so by yourself. Thankfully a lot of the decisions were made cooperatively between the administrator team so not a lot of stuff was put on my weight.

Something that was really, completely on me, though, was the whole Dodgeball Cup event which I picked up from @Darthmule completely. Loadout natives used notwithstanding, the websites and server code was 100% made by me on my free time, with the hopes that it'd be a well-received event. When you develop a whole event by yourself, you've got to really commit yourself into doing it, testing ideas, writing the code, doing the art for the website, testing it on a local environment, measure statistics, testing it with a select amount of people privately, so forth and so on. All on this being something that the community might not even like at all! What if it's a failure and the event goes to the annals of history? Quite a lot of self-doubt comes into your mind but you've got to reassure yourself that it will be fine. Not even the admins were 100% in the know until it was half-done.

The event ended up being alright, just that the rewards were set too high (I overestimated stats *a lot*), but depending if it was liked by the community or not, it sets a precedent for future events, and sometimes you have to test your luck into doing something that the whole community might not like even though they're forced into it. You could say it was difficult both in the coding-sense, community-sense, time-sense... whatever, but you get my idea.

Show bobs and vagene?
This is a christian forum.

If roleplay is your passion, I can't say why not if you try your hardest.

Count Sexulus

Count
Donator
The event ended up being alright, just that the rewards were set too high (I overestimated stats *a lot*), but depending if it was liked by the community or not, it sets a precedent for future events, and sometimes you have to test your luck into doing something that the whole community might not like even though they're forced into it. You could say it was difficult both in the coding-sense, community-sense, time-sense... whatever, but you get my idea.
I do think the DB cup was somewhat good, but my god if we had a similar event I don't think I would try nearly as hard, I spent way too much time on my computer that month before my internet died for like the third time and I just said fuck it I'm happy with being second. My changes would probably be some more lower tier rewards/lower max reward ceiling, so lesser skilled players don't feel left out.

JugadorXEI

I'm my own master now
I do think the DB cup was somewhat good, but my god if we had a similar event I don't think I would try nearly as hard, I spent way too much time on my computer that month before my internet died for like the third time and I just said fuck it I'm happy with being second. My changes would probably be some more lower tier rewards/lower max reward ceiling, so lesser skilled players don't feel left out.
That was basically the whole gist of why the event was "bad" (aka why I said I overestimated stats): rewards were waaaay too high and spread too far inbetween. Few items also didn't help but at the time my mind was completely blank about what to make that isn't some cookie-cutter battlecry and I try to make unique items featured for events so people work for them based on their uniqueness and rarity.

I'm glad you had a lot of fun, though!

PestoVerde

if you calmly masturbate, then your dong cant dong
Senior Dev
Server Moderator
Donator
Developer
Szf_helmsdeep.

Aside that, what Alex said.

Status
Not open for further replies.