Bombermod Feedback/Suggestion/Discussion

Alex Turtle

Local Turtle of the RSOP
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Hello,

If you wanted to say anything about Bombermod then you've come to the right place.

Intended Gameplay
A Battle Royale Bomberman where there can be only one

RED has a sticky launcher and with the help of powerups, must defeat every other RED

If you die as RED, you become BLU equipped with a Loch and Load.
If you kill as BLU you come back as RED, simple.

Problems and possible solution

1.People get annoyed that they're far in the game and they die from a dead angle against 20 BLU focusing them + the round lasts too long​
My plan is to trigger Sudden Death earlier (2 minutes into the game) that way rounds will feel shorter and people will feel like they didn't lose too much.​
Alternatively, I could also create an "Extra life" powerup, that even if you get hit by BLU, the player comes back but you are still in the game.​
2.When collecting lots of powerups at the same time, you seem to get "stuck" against the props​
That one is entirely on me, being new to SourcePawn didn't teach me all the tricks right off the bat but I got ideas to workaround this issue.​
3.Ghosts radically changes the end game and there's nothing you can do to defend against them!​
I plan to make stickies stun the ghosts upon hitting them​
4.Shield charges allows you to kill BLU​
Unintended, I'm fixing it as soon as possible​

Suggestions/Roadmap

A complete UI

You'll soon get complete information on the current powerups you currently own during the round.

Powerups
Right now, there are 4 powerups available:
  • Faster reload
  • Faster speed
  • Bigger clip size
  • Shorter detonation
Planned new powerups
  • Extra life (rare powerup, BLU still comesback if hit)
  • Bigger explosion range (stickies become bigger)
Feel free to suggest a new one that isn't in the list

Shop Items

Now that's where I need you, shop item types for Bombermod!

I already thought of using the Glass Attack coins to recolor the blocks.

Badges

I already started coding for some badges, if you got badge suggestions, throw them here!

There, go wild!

Last edited:

Fixes everything
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
One big problem i get is starting uber being too short to survive first sticky you shoot. It really depend on which map and spawns your at, you may be at very little space to move around and survive first sticky, or new players may not know about the whole game just to die fast. It just not fun to die in first 5 seconds just because you get killed by your own sticky in tight spot.
Simply increase start uber duration to not get killed by first sticky, and not too long for 2nd would do it.

Also small visual suggestion, have display "you will become a ghost in X seconds" ticking down every second, just so you know when you are about to spawn without counting yourself.

pathetic beta males

YOU'RE A BETA
Developer
Definitely a lot of room for improvement.

- On the stairs map, the starting area is too cramped for you to get out of without dying, meaning you either have to wait for someone to kill themselves blowing up a spot next to you, or be lucky and spawn on/near the stairs (not sure if this is possible). Agree with 42 that the starting uber should be longer.
- Auto-KABEEM taunt when ghost mode/sudden death starts, makes it funnier.
- Extra explosion range sounds like a bad idea, and should be done in moderation if implemented.
- Since the BLU explosives have such a small radius, killing multiple people with a Loch-and-load shot should give you extra lives, working together with the planned extra lives. (Happened to me at least once)
- Specials Match modes like in Smash? 20XX mode where you max out all the powerups at spawn, spawn with pills and charge and charging kills charged player (pills shoot stickies), etc. etc.
- Ghosts should gain speed slowly over time.
- Stairs map seems to restrict movement a lot. You should remove the restrictions and make the map bigger. The bridges are way too easy to kill people on since they restrict movement to one axis.

You already have some of the things I thought planned, so I won't list them here. Good luck.

Alex Turtle

Local Turtle of the RSOP
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
For the map issues, I can't really fix them as I didn't make them (except for the Mario one). But a longer uber duration could help in case of bad starting points.

Victor

banned retard
Server Moderator
Donator
Some things I noticed:
  • Ghosts can occasionally get stuck inside each other/a surrounding block when they spawn into the arena, not a huge deal since you can crouch/jump to get out of it
  • You should consider adding an option for ghosts to enter the arena in firstperson, I personally feel like thirdperson makes it difficult to move around
  • There's some exploit you can do to spam the killfeed endlessly (as BLU) while you're in the "waiting to spawn as ghost" phase
  • Personally I think the +clip size pumpkins are a bit overpowered as is, imo it gives players who have increased clip size a significant advantage over others who don't; I suggest limiting their spawn rate in some way (e.g. add a cap to how many can spawn per round or reducing the chances for one to spawn)
  • Adding some kind of !help menu (like for szf/vsh) that explains how the gamemode works/plays would be very helpful for newer players
  • The amount of bp earned for a winner in a round should be displayed in chat (like vsh/smash does)

Kinu

P.L.A.Y
My turn:
I've played the mode for a little bit, like... three times? And every time I've felt like the thing that really takes away from Bombermod being exciting are a few things:

1. I think the Loch n Load Blueteam second chance feature is kind of... bad. And I'd like to propose instead a way for Red team to not sit the game out for 5 minutes if they die first: Just give them 2 lives. If they die once, they respawn somewhere on the map.

2. There is this annoying bug going around that makes staying alive in the first 10 seconds really difficult, and I think I know why. Is by chance the Stickybomb explosion damage coded to linger for a while? I've noticed that when I placed a bomb right around the corner of a block and pushed up against said block, the Stickybomb would blow me up alongside it even though I was right around the corner. Or is it that Stickybombs ignore breakable terrain and damage people through it?

3. I believe all maps should feature unbreakable blocks in an understandable pattern. We've played a map yesterday where all blocks were breakable and it really wasn't fun to play anymore after the blocks were gone. It was just uncontrolled chaos of Demos trying to land stickybombs in an open field while Loch n Loads were firing haphazardly. Actual Bomberman also had maps with unbreakable walls in them so people would still need to play by the boundaries of the map, besides that I believe it would be visually helpful for people to orient themselves walking through a square maze rather than one huge soccer field. In the square maze you still need to aim the stickies while in the soccer field Demos just spam 8 Stickybombs on max upgrades into ANY direction hoping to land a hit.

4. I'm not entirely sure about this one, but do we have a detonation time upgrade? Towards the end game Stickybombs should feel like a major threat, but they take a really long time to detonate still. Either the detonation time upgrades are too weak or they don't exist I think.

Victor

banned retard
Server Moderator
Donator
3. I believe all maps should feature unbreakable blocks in an understandable pattern. We've played a map yesterday where all blocks were breakable and it really wasn't fun to play anymore after the blocks were gone. It was just uncontrolled chaos of Demos trying to land stickybombs in an open field while Loch n Loads were firing haphazardly. Actual Bomberman also had maps with unbreakable walls in them so people would still need to play by the boundaries of the map, besides that I believe it would be visually helpful for people to orient themselves walking through a square maze rather than one huge soccer field. In the square maze you still need to aim the stickies while in the soccer field Demos just spam 8 Stickybombs on max upgrades into ANY direction hoping to land a hit.
to my knowledge only one map has that gimmick so not really an issue

Sandshark

DELTA
Donator
Just encountered a bug where all ghosts spawning in during overtime would get stuck inside the ground, making the round last much longer than intended. Suicide did not fix.

Alex Turtle

Local Turtle of the RSOP
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Time to answer some questions to the best of my abilities

One big problem i get is starting uber being too short to survive first sticky you shoot. It really depend on which map and spawns your at, you may be at very little space to move around and survive first sticky, or new players may not know about the whole game just to die fast. It just not fun to die in first 5 seconds just because you get killed by your own sticky in tight spot.
Simply increase start uber duration to not get killed by first sticky, and not too long for 2nd would do it.

Also small visual suggestion, have display "you will become a ghost in X seconds" ticking down every second, just so you know when you are about to spawn without counting yourself.
  1. I'll increase the uber duration
  2. That's planned in the next update

Definitely a lot of room for improvement.

- Extra explosion range sounds like a bad idea, and should be done in moderation if implemented.
- Since the BLU explosives have such a small radius, killing multiple people with a Loch-and-load shot should give you extra lives, working together with the planned extra lives. (Happened to me at least once)
- Specials Match modes like in Smash? 20XX mode where you max out all the powerups at spawn, spawn with pills and charge and charging kills charged player (pills shoot stickies), etc. etc.
- Ghosts should gain speed slowly over time.
  1. I can add a maximum cap one can hold to that powerup if needed
  2. That's a good idea, I'll see how that turns out once I can detect 2 kills in 1
  3. Good item suggestion but it's probably gonna be last in my priority list
  4. I don't see ghosts having issues getting to the players and they should work together as a group

Some things I noticed:
  • You should consider adding an option for ghosts to enter the arena in firstperson, I personally feel like thirdperson makes it difficult to move around
  • There's some exploit you can do to spam the killfeed endlessly (as BLU) while you're in the "waiting to spawn as ghost" phase
  • Personally I think the +clip size pumpkins are a bit overpowered as is, imo it gives players who have increased clip size a significant advantage over others who don't; I suggest limiting their spawn rate in some way (e.g. add a cap to how many can spawn per round or reducing the chances for one to spawn)
  • Adding some kind of !help menu (like for szf/vsh) that explains how the gamemode works/plays would be very helpful for newer players
  • The amount of bp earned for a winner in a round should be displayed in chat (like vsh/smash does)
  1. I plan to make first person the default
  2. I will block the suicide command
  3. That's the point of powerups, if you combine them all you should become a god
  4. That's in the making
  5. It should be displaying for everyone, I'll check the problem
My turn:
I've played the mode for a little bit, like... three times? And every time I've felt like the thing that really takes away from Bombermod being exciting are a few things:

1. I think the Loch n Load Blueteam second chance feature is kind of... bad. And I'd like to propose instead a way for Red team to not sit the game out for 5 minutes if they die first: Just give them 2 lives. If they die once, they respawn somewhere on the map.

2. There is this annoying bug going around that makes staying alive in the first 10 seconds really difficult, and I think I know why. Is by chance the Stickybomb explosion damage coded to linger for a while? I've noticed that when I placed a bomb right around the corner of a block and pushed up against said block, the Stickybomb would blow me up alongside it even though I was right around the corner. Or is it that Stickybombs ignore breakable terrain and damage people through it?

3. I'm not entirely sure about this one, but do we have a detonation time upgrade? Towards the end game Stickybombs should feel like a major threat, but they take a really long time to detonate still. Either the detonation time upgrades are too weak or they don't exist I think.
  1. That would make the game even last longer if everyone had 2 lives, my plan is to make every game last 3 minutes max.
  2. Indeed, I'm gonna increase the uber duration to prevent that
  3. There is a detonation upgrade, maybe I should make it shorter
Just encountered a bug where all ghosts spawning in during overtime would get stuck inside the ground, making the round last much longer than intended. Suicide did not fix.
Welp, time to change ghost spawning logic

Forged Identity

Warming up
not sure if anyone else has these concerns but:
1) people are getting stuck inside player dropped pumpkins (ie they're solid and aren't pickupable.)

2) its not really clear if you can or can't place a stickybomb down by shooting it over a wall (ie in bm_multi) which does lead to some frustration when I forget that I can't and end up killing myself

3) perhaps use optional text boxes to tell blu players what they are supposed to do after they spawn in

4) try showing how big a blast radius of a bomb is (in squares maybe?) which

I know this isn't a big list but I hope some of the feedback helps make the game mode better.

Kinu

P.L.A.Y
Additionally, I think it'd be great if we had at least 1 map where players can't see each other over walls. To add to the thrill a little bit, a maze with high walls or something that isn't too complicated so people can't stall.

Alex Turtle

Local Turtle of the RSOP
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
not sure if anyone else has these concerns but:
1) people are getting stuck inside player dropped pumpkins (ie they're solid and aren't pickupable.)

2) its not really clear if you can or can't place a stickybomb down by shooting it over a wall (ie in bm_multi) which does lead to some frustration when I forget that I can't and end up killing myself

3) perhaps use optional text boxes to tell blu players what they are supposed to do after they spawn in

4) try showing how big a blast radius of a bomb is (in squares maybe?) which

I know this isn't a big list but I hope some of the feedback helps make the game mode better.
  1. Fixed, was a mistake from my part
  2. I can't really do anything, maps were made that way
  3. I'll improve the UI as soon as possible
  4. I don't really know if it's possible to do that, the best I can do is highlighting the stickies like the scottish resistance
Additionally, I think it'd be great if we had at least 1 map where players can't see each other over walls. To add to the thrill a little bit, a maze with high walls or something that isn't too complicated so people can't stall.
I've made a thread for this purpose! Try to make one yourself or find someone to make it (it really is easy) Mapping for the Bomberman Gamemode (https://forum.redsun.tf/threads/mapping-for-the-bomberman-gamemode.3018/)

Megionate

Incredibly handsome
Just a small thing but is it intended that when a blu pipe kills a red which would make red count low enough to trigger SD that there is no revive for the blu? Got the elimination but no revive.

Alex Turtle

Local Turtle of the RSOP
Senior Dev
Donator
Developer
Just a small thing but is it intended that when a blu pipe kills a red which would make red count low enough to trigger SD that there is no revive for the blu? Got the elimination but no revive.
Fixed it

VSH ubers have an AOE marker. Can't you do the same thing that plugin does?
I could but I don't know if it's a good idea, and maybe it has limitations (like everyone can see each other AOE markers)